This is actually a dish I created myself, as I was searching a bunch of websites for a good tortellini recipe, and came up empty handed, when I was designing the menu for my Halloween party last year. Now, I know it may sound a little strange…spinach tortellini & oranges?? But I promise you it is amazing! But bare with me, I am notorious for guesstimating proportions when it comes to measuring. A sprinkle of this or a sprinkle of that, and if it tastes good, that’s it! I don’t necessarily always pay attention to the exacts. But, I promise I am giving you my best approximation! And with cooking it’s always an experiment anyway so feel free to adjust the recipe to your preference! Anyway, personally, I believe it is the perfect fall dish as a main course or as a side to serve at that fabulous fall party you are hosting! Just don’t forget the Salted Bourbon Caramel Apples I posted awhile back for dessert!
- 2-3 boxes of Trader Joe’s spinach tortellini (Depending on servings desired based on approx. 2 servings per box)
- 8-10 clementines diced
- 1 red onion diced
- 10-20 fresh basil leaves chopped (Can use parsley if preferred)
- 1 TB fennel
- 1/3 cup pine nuts
- 1 clove garlic diced
- 1 tsp Nature’s Seasoning &/or salt and pepper to taste
- 2-3 TB of Olive oil, including for drizzle on top
- Shredded Romano & Parmesan cheese, to sprinkle on top as desired
- Cook tortellini as instructed
- In a pan, on med-high heat, sauté diced red onion & garlic in 1 TB olive oil. When slightly cooked, add diced oranges, chopped basil, pine nuts, fennel, and seasoning & continue to sauté until slightly brown.
- Add tortellini.
- Drizzle remaining 2-3 TB of olive oil on top.
- Sprinkle shredded Romano & parmesan cheese on top to taste.
And there you have it my lovelies! I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I have! And please feel free to tweak it to your preference!
♥♥ If you have an allergy to pine nuts, you may try substituting cashews.